Got Mongo? Feed On This!"
Become a fan of the STORE on Facebook. Click here.
Become a fan of the BLOG on Facebook. Click Here

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

25 Best Musical Performances in Non-musical Films: 15-6

We're still counting down the 25 most iconic musical performances in a non-musical film.

After posting the first part, I was immediately hit with a lot of suggestions and ideas from friends which is awesome!  I guess this was a pretty good topic to choose.  It's almost a great drinking game.

But, I have to clarify a couple of things.  I went with the selections I did because they were something that sort of happened out of the ordinary but left an impression on pop culture.  I shied away from the most obvious choices, like Michael J. Fox singing "Johnny B. Goode" in Back to the Future and Gene Wilder singing that psychedelic boat song from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  It pained me to do it because Marty McFly was in a band.  That was a plot point and Willy Wonka is basically a musical.

So, I apologize for not including a lot of the suggestions I got but I'm sticking with my guns.   I'll still post comments from you all who had your own take or suggestions.

UPDATE Due to my screwed up math, I listed 11 in the first post and have been going back to fix that.  I also omitted one of the best ones, so I had to drop off number 20, renumber the rest, and that caused number 5 to slip into the six spot.  So, I left the commentary I reserved for the top five because it was special... to me, anyway.


15.  Fletch "Moon River" (It's short but who doesn't quote this?)


14.  Planes, Trains, and Automobiles "Three Coins in a Fountain" / "Meet the Flintstones"


13.  Pretty Woman  "Kiss"  (Couldn't find the original but found an outtake)


12.  Ten Things I Hate About You "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You"


11.  Pee Wee's Big Adventure "Tequila"


10.  Three Amigos "My Little Buttercup"


9.  Stripes "Do Wah Diddy Diddy"


8.  Top Gun "You've Lost That Loving Feeling"


7.  Jaws "Show Me the Way To Go Home"


Here's where number five dropped into number six with the commentary.
In 1992, I was a junior in high school.  I had just got my license the year before and I was still not really allowed to drive around with my friends in the car.  Yet, I had friends, who were older, that would drive me around to various places.  It was nothing for us to say, “Hey, let’s go to a Pittsburgh Pirates game or drive to Morgantown, or even up to Seven Springs.”    We’d pop a mix tape in the car stereo and were off on another adventure.  There were some great memories riding in the car with friends, goofing off, and having no cares in the world.

But in February of 92, I was with some older friends and we decided to go take in a movie one night.  I can honestly say, that was one of the most hilarious and funny nights of my life.  I won’t say the film was Oscar worthy, but it was memorable, and for months we drove around with the soundtrack blaring.  For months, I had a stiff neck.  To this day, anytime I hear this song on the radio, I have to reenact this memorable scene.  I have to bang my head.

5. Wayne's World "Bohemian Rhapsody"
With that out of the way, here's the next set.

No comments:

Shredded Tweets